Bioresources Development Centre Igede Ekiti was established in October 2018 with the major purpose of ensuring significant grassroot empowerment of Ekiti State indigenes through profitable exploitation and development of indigenous bioresources. Pioneer Units include, Human Resources Development Unit, Finance & Account Unit, Bio-Enterprise Unit Crop/Plant Unit, Fishery/Aquaculture Unit.
- Preservation and provision of biological resources for scientific, industrial, agricultural, environmental and medical R&D and their applications.
- Utilization of indigenous bioresource materials to support R&D activities for preservation of the nation’s ecological biodiversity.
- Promotion of technologies and database to achieve best practices in development of indigenous bioresources.
- Popularization of developed bio-enterprises for public information and policy formulation to encourage commercial production.
- Provision of bioentrepreneurship training and services to existing and prospective farmers.
Center Research Capacity
Macropropagation of banana and plantain.
Oyster mushroom production.
List of Bioresources Identified:
- Cocoa (Theobroma cacao)
- Oil palm (Elaeis guineensis)
- Yam (Dioscorea sp)
- Cassava (Manihot esculenta)
- Rice (Oryza sativa)
- Maize (Zea mays)
- Kolanut (Cola acuminata)
- Plantain (Musa paradisiaca)
- Banana (Musa acuminata)
- Rubber (Hevea brasiliensis)
- Goat (Capra hircus)
- Domestic fowl (Gallus gallus)