Bioresources Development Centre, (BIODEC) Oka-Akoko Ondo State, a Centre under National Biotechnology Development Agency,(NABDA), Federal Ministry of Science and Technology was created / established in 2016 and saddled with the responsibilities of facilitating deployment of Biotechnology research outcome to the rural populace and maintaining sustainable exploitation of indigenous Bioresources with respect to food and Agriculture, Job / wealth creation, Industrial application and sustainable environment.
The focal points of Bioresources Development Centre (BIODEC) Oka-Akoko, Ondo State is to enhance local capacity via efficient and effective research and development initiatives, transformation of the agricultural sector via modern technology using the latest technology approach to improve plant seedlings and bioenergy.
- Production of bio-renewable energy such as bio- ethanol and biogas from feedstock which include; cashew, cassava, sugarcane, amongst others, for the establishment of waste to wealth innovations.
- Production of yeast from available indigenous bioresources for industrial applications.
- Enzyme production for application in bio-ethanol industry.
- To ensure significant grassroots empowerment of people of the Ondo state region through profitable exploitation and development of their indigenous bioresources.
- To promote sustainable exploitation of Bioresources for food and Agriculture, Medicine, Economy and Environment.
- To become a Centre of international repute for a holistic bio-entrepreneurship development and to also make Oka- Akoko BIODEC a Centre of attraction for sustainable generation.
- Growth and development of viable technology driven, private sector led knowledge and research base bio-enterprises
- To ensure significant grassroots empowerment of people of Ondo state region through profitable exploitation and development of their indigenous Bioresources.
Center Research Capacity
Isolation of microbes,
Production of enzymes and yeast,
Purification of enzyme
Agricultural biotechnology in aspect of propagation
List of Bioresources Identiifed:
- Plantain & Banana
- Palm tree